01 September 2014

My Plate Monday



I didn't wear my badges as well last week as I have in previous weeks.  Yes I was slightly more persistent with adding fitness activities into my daily routine and being overall health conscious, but there is always room for improvement.  All of the pieces didnt fit together as intracitaly as hoped for.  Pizza night, coffee cake on more mornings than one, an offbeat sleep schedule, and more than my share of caffeinated beverages are some of the disasters I'm looking back at from this week's diet.  

Hitting a high point on Friday night, I decided to go all in with a mostly from scratch chili.  Instead of ground beef I asked the butcher to chunk two nice pieces of chuck roast.  Prepared the main ingredients first by brazing the beef, adding 3 packets of seasoning along with chunks of onion and green pepper.  All the work got done overnight with the crock pot set on the lowest setting.  Added too much tomato puree, might reduce that to one can instead of 1.5.  2 Roma tomatoes added liquid also.  Did I mention that I chopped half of a large eggplant and added it into the medley along with 2 cans of chicken?  For some odd reason once everything was in the crock the thought crossed my mind that I should have picked up like 5 plain double stacks from Wendys and used their meat instead for this chili.

On Thursday or Friday I woke after falling asleep around 8 or 9 pm the night before just thirsty and ended up doing like 40 minutes on my stationary bike.  Must have been the storm or something that woke me up.  I don't know but I was full of energy.

Pictured below are a couple of the meals I had.  Korean bbq seasoned Chicken with rice and vegetables.  That was a repeat.  One night we had Chinese takeout; my order is usually some combination of steamed dumplings with this amazing clear brown sauce, white rice, lo mein, and/or vegetable egg foo young.  One night we had a coupon for Dominos Pizza or they were running a special.  We ordered parmesan bread bites, wings and a pie. Might have been game night.  One morning we visited a local eatery and enjoyed hot chocolate before the ranch potato and egg breakfast arrived.  That was a huge serving.  I mulled over it until it was cold and had to douse it in hot sauce to finish it off.

Breakfast this week was a joke.  Seriously.  They were more like remnants from the night before.  One day i got it kind of right.  Instead of chugging three cups of coffee on an empty stomach I boiled a few eggs and sliced an apple and banana.  For the most part each morning I woke up there was no need to be awake.  I found myself aimless wandering about the house, trying to decide to leave and take a walk, bathe, do yardwork, or simply go directly back to bed after a medicinal remedy.

Using Runtastic I logged 5 fitness activities.  My faithful partners in crime had something to do with that.  National Dog Day happened at some point this week, must be the reason behind updating their blog.  
 We did some re arranging of furniture and end of summer cleaning so of course the bicycle, treadmill and other fitness gear suddenly looked more usable than ever. Seeing usable stuff as well as getting newsletter updates from GNC, Speedo and subscribing to YouTube channels like American Ninja Warrior, RAAM Cycling Media, The Rockettes, and countless music channels create a sense of ultimatum.  

Grocery store shopping should be a greater priority.  As much as I swear by making lists and having the basics on hand, I really need to plan better for meal times.  I'll make it a point to stop at the store when I'm out of milk, eggs, coffee, a condiment, or bread but those items shouldn't be the only reason I'm going to get groceries.  I should be able to make 3 different meals from home without needing to venture out to the grocery store.

Lastly, planning  meals and snacks for the commuter.  I notice the amount of dishes that need to be cleaned at my house are mostly reusable plastics and travel beverage containers. The kitchen at your residence and mine don't always need to be open.  Is this McDonalds?! My kitchen at home isn't a 24-7 bakery, bbq, or buffet and neither is yours.  Do what you can with what you have.  Maybe not having much on the pantry self at home works better for us than having an abundance of goods that may expire before getting used.