04 February 2014

Check out this great dish I shared on Evernote. 

Are you ready to surprise yourself in the kitchen?  This is my latest creation. 

What you'll need:
  • Dutch oven or 4qt stockpot
  • 4-1/4lb lean turkey or chicken burgers
  • Chili Seasoning Package (I usually prefer Carol Shelby brand)
  • 1 can each Kidney and Black beans, partially drained
  • 1 can light beer
  • 1 8oz can tomato sauce (as per instructions)
  • 1 can diced, seasoned tomatoes
Last night I put the beans, tomatoes, sauce, beer and seasoning in the stockpot on the stove to simmer for about 45 minutes b/c the meat wasn't thawed yet.  It worked ok - all there was left to do was form burger patties from the ground turkey & chicken, cook thoroughly then crumble into the reheating sauce.  
Maybe since I haven't completely mastered the art of gas range v electric range cooking I've been breaking down this process step by step to build my confidence.
Variation: Follow the same procedure for browning the meat.  Instead of starting the night before, combine ingredients into crocker on lowest setting.
Don't forget to taste your food before serving!  Its a crime to put all the effort you have into serving a visually appetizing meal & be embarrassed by the flavor of your own cooking!